William Shakespeare is called „The Bard of Avon“, because he is considered to be the greatest poet that ever lived, since that time.
The word „bard“ means poet, better a traveling poet. In medieval time most of the poets were traveling, telling stories and made a living performing.
Stratford-upon-Avon, near Birmingham, is the native city of William Shakespeare.
Shakespeare´s plays are:
- Tragedies, as „Romeo and Juliet“, „Hamlet“ and „Macbeth“.
- Comedies, as „As You Like It“, „A Midsummer Nights Dream“, and of course „Much Ado About Nothing“
- Histories, as „Richard III“, „Henry IV“, „Henry V“, and „Henry VI“.
Although Shakespeare’s plays can be grouped into those three categories, there was really one thing that set him apart from many other playwriters was the unique way he would combine parts of all those three categories. To do this was something that had not been done before that time.
Shakespear was a real genius because he was able to write for everyone. In case his work appealed to everyone, from kings to peasants.
Befor we ll come to some of his famous quotes, I have to say that more over 2000 new words and phrases were created by him!
For example: „schoolboy“, „mimic“, „partner“, „shooting star“ and „football“ and don´t forget the words „upstairs“ and „downstairs“ and so on.
Some of his famous Quotes:
- “O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?” (Romeo and Juliet)
- “To be, or not to be, that is the question.” (Hamlet)
- “Out, damn’d spot! out, I say!” (Macbeth)
- “All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players.” (As You Like It)
- “Lord, what fools these mortals be!” (A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
Even from one of his 154 sonnets there is a saying:
- “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?” (Sonnet 18)
Some words to Shakespeare`s sonnets. Most of them are constructed of three quatrains, or four-line stanzas, and end with two lines, calling „a couplet“.
This makes up the 14-line sonnet.
So the rhythm of each line is iambic pentameter.
Each line of his sonnet has ten syllables.
In the english language, to have a certain rhythm in a poem, you use a combination of stressed and unstressed syllables. Iambic is two syllables; the first is not stressed, but the second is accented. Each set of two syllables is called a foot, and five feet make up a pentameter.
Shakespeare was also part-owner of a theatre company called Lord Chamberlain’s Men. Later he constructed the Globe Theatre. One of the first plays in was „Julius Caesar“.
Shakespear writing career was only 20 years long. He was born in April of 1564, in Stratford-upon-Avon (England) and died 1616, at the age of only 52.
Please allow me to say – thank you – to this honoured and expetionally gifted poet – The Bard of Avon -!